Here are 10 tips for the first-time car insurance buyer to help you choose the best insurance policy for your vehicle. With a little bit of preparation, you can save money while protecting yourself.
The first time doing anything can be stressful—riding a bike, driving a car, playing a new game or trying a daring new recipe—but no matter what, you want as much guidance as possible along the way.
That is where East Street Insurance comes in. Not only do we want you to choose the correct auto insurance coverage, in the right amounts, for your vehicle, but we want you to have a positive experience doing so, as well.
How much does car insurance cost?
The cost of car insurance fluctuates based on many factors. But the average cost of car insurance in the state of Ohio can be between $328 to $1034 a year. This amount can fluctuate based on the company you are insured by, the area in which you live, your driving history, eligible discounts and more.
Top 10 tips for first-time insurance buyers
- Learn about the different types of auto insurance available, requirements etc. – If you have a loan or if you lease your car, you will need comprehensive and collision coverage to protect the value of your car in addition to bodily injury/property damage liability coverages. The cost of insurance can vary from company to company and as a first-time shopper for insurance, a licensed insurance professional can help guide you through the process of getting the right amount of coverage to fit your needs.
- Comprehensive coverage – Comprehensive coverage helps pay the cost of damage to your vehicle when it is not a result of a collision or wreck. Comprehensive covers losses such as vandalism, theft, damage from weather or colliding with an animal on the road.
- Your insurance score rating – Research shows that credit-based insurance scores can predict the potential for an accident. Statistical analysis shows that those with a low insurance score are more likely to have a claim. Those with higher insurance scores tend to have fewer accidents.
- Bundling with home or renters insurance discounts – If you insure your auto and home with the same insurance company, you may be eligible for a discount on both your auto and your homeowners or renters premiums. The savings can be significant, especially for a first-time buyer. At East Street, we offer the Multi-Line discount which can help you save 18% on your auto and 20% on your home policy, if we insure both.
- Check your geographical location when estimating car insurance rates – The cost of insurance varies from city to city and even by zip code, so it is important that you use your actual garage location (generally where you keep your car at night) when getting a quote. Insurance companies look at things like traffic patterns, congestion, vehicle thefts, population density and even weather patterns to determine the cost of insurance in a particular area.
- Customer service and support/helpline – With East Street Insurance, help is just a phone call away. Whether you need to make a payment, add a vehicle or report a claim, our insurance professionals are a phone call away, or you can login to your online account.
- Insurance policy buying options – As a first-time buyer of insurance, you can purchase insurance online very conveniently at your own pace from the comfort of your home or visit with a licensed insurance professional that will help lead you through the process. These insurance buying options give you flexibility and freedom when choosing what and when to purchase auto insurance.
- Avoid coverage you may not need – It can seem like a daunting task selecting specific coverages and limits, especially as a first-time insurance buyer. Speaking with an East Street Insurance agent can help you get the coverage that you need and avoid buying coverage that may not be needed for your particular insurance situation. You want to be careful not to be underinsured just to save a few dollars a month, but also, not being “over insured” to a point that it is costing you too much.
- Ask or find additional discounts to save more – East Street offers multiple discounts, these can include a discount for having prior insurance without a lapse in coverage, using telematics to help improve your driving skills, a paperless discount and even a discount if you get a quote before your current policy ends.
What type of car insurance do I need?
As a new purchaser of auto insurance, you will want to make sure you have adequate coverage to protect both you and your auto. To protect you against damages that you may be liable for, bodily injury and property damage liability helps safeguard your financial security.
Comprehensive and collision coverage can help you repair or replace your vehicle in the event of an accident or damage. Your licensed insurance professional can also suggest other coverages such as medical payments, uninsured/underinsured motorists, roadside assistance and rental car coverage.
What are the best ways to save money on car insurance?
A great way to save money on your insurance is to work with an experienced East Street Insurance agent. They can let you know how to help lower your insurance costs while providing adequate protection for you and your car. We offer an abundance of discounts that can help you save on your car insurance:
Full Payment Discount
Driver Education Discount
Accident Free Discount
New Business Discount
Anti-Lock Braking and Passive Restraint Safety Equipment Discounts
Youthful Driver Discount
Top Scholar Discount
Mature Driver Discount
How to get a free car insurance quote?
Getting a free car insurance quote is simple. You can either go online and get a free quote or talk to an East Street Insurance agent todayto get started. The process is simple, we will just have to obtain a bit of information to make sure we can create a policy that best fits your needs.
Buying car insurance for the first time can be intimidating. That is why our team at East Street wants to make this process as smooth as possible and get you reliable coverage for the vehicle you rely on to get you on your way.